SUMMER HARVEST TABLE RECIPES – SALAD
REUBEN’S & CO CAFE’ – CHEF LIAM SMITH
Whipped Feta Salad |Prep time: 25 minutes | Serves 4
Put a tangy twist on this peach and beetroot salad, with a whipped feta cream base, topped with roasted basil and nuts. This salad is a quick and easy starter that is sure to be a fan favourite for all your guests!
For this recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
100g Double cream yoghurt
300g Cherry Tomato
25ml Basil pesto
½ Cucumber, in ribbons (shaved with a peeler)
1 Beetroot julienne
10g Basil leaves (optional to deep fry as well)
10g Mixed seeds toasted
5g Chopped chives
To create your masterpiece, you will need a mixer with the whisk attached, a cooking pan, a chopping board, some olive oil, and honey or brown sugar.
- In a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, whip feta and yoghurt until smooth and velvety—season with salt and pepper to your taste.
- Slice the cherry tomatoes in half along the horizontal width, season with salt and pepper and char them in a pan with a tablespoon of Extra Virgin Olive oil, set aside to rest.
- Next, slice the peach into cubes and caramelise in a pan. Top tip: add either brown sugar or honey to create a sweet and sticky texture. Set aside the rest.
- Make a small mixture of your choice of seeds and nuts and toast them slightly. Season with salt and pepper – use walnuts, sunflower seeds or almond flakes to add some crunch!
- Next, take half a cucumber, hollow out the middle to avoid sogginess, and shave with a peeler or on a mandolin to create cucumber ribbons. Drop the ribbons in some ice water to curl for ten minutes.
- Peel the raw beetroot and julienne to make 5mmx5mm match sticks.
- Lastly, Chop up the basil leaves and chives to garnish the dish.
Now to put it all together! Grab your empty dish, and let’s get to plating
- Start with spooning the whipped feta onto the middle of the plate or bowl, creating a slight trench with a tablespoon: spread the charred tomatoes, ribboned cucumber and Jullienne beetroot over the creamed mixture. Next, add the caramelised peach in open spots to your heart’s content.
- Now the finishing touches: garnish the dish with chopped basil leaves and chives, sprinkle the roasted nuts, drizzle basil pesto, and extra virgin olive oil.
Voila! All done! For some added goodness, serve with your choice of Lavash crackers, Crostini or fresh bread!
Top Tip: for the perfect wine pairing, we suggest the Polo Club Chardonnay Pinot
Explore all the harvest table recipes on the Val de Vie Estate Blog
Canapés – The Valley Restaurant
Main course – Polo Pavilion by Back’s
Salad – Reuben’s & Co Cafe
Dessert – Wijn
Cheese board – The Deli by Back’s
Fresh produce – Val de Vie Wellness Farm
Furniture & Décor – N Concepts & Design
Wine – Val de Vie Wines at L’Huguenot Vineyards
Coffee – Fleet Coffee Roastery
Traditional Fruit Cake – Val de Vie Estate resident, Mechanne Behnke