SUMMER HARVEST TABLE RECIPES – MAIN COURSE
POLO PAVILION BY BACK’S – CHEF KYLE CONRADIE
Nothing comes close to a classic free-range T-bone steak with a decadent bearnaise sauce and a butternut side salad. Chef Kyle shares his secret to perfecting this traditional dish to impress and delight your dinner guests.
For this recipe, you will need the following ingredients:
Free-range red Angus T-bone steak from Fairview
Salt and Pepper to season
4 egg yolks
400ml clarified butter
10ml spirit vinegar
40g dried tarragon
300g butternut rounds
40ml olive oil
60g pumpkin seed pesto
Pumpkin seed pesto
250g pumpkin seeds toasted
50g grated grana padano
100ml olive oil
To prepare this dish, you can either braai the meat or cook the T-bone steak on a gas stove in the kitchen. Further, you will need a medium-sized pot to make the bearnaise sauce, a blender, roasting tray, cheesecloth to strain liquid, a mixing bowl and dishes to plate.
- Take the 1kg butter and dried tarragon and gently simmer in a pot to make clarified butter. Once the butter starts to split and become clear, strain it through a cheesecloth.
- Mix the egg yolks, vinegar and salt in a bowl and whisk over a double boiler until the mixture is thick and ribbon. After that, remove the double boiler and whisk in the tarragon butter, pouring very slowly till thick but still runny. In the end, add a pinch of tarragon for taste.
- Set aside until serving
Pumpkin seed pesto
- Blend all ingredients to form a chunky pesto and set aside to dress the salad once completed.
- Segment some of your orange and grapefruit keep aside to garnish the salad.
- Chop your butternut into cubes and place in an oven tray; squeeze the juice from the orange and grapefruit over the butternut, add salt, pepper and olive oil and roast till tender at 180-celsius degrees for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Grill the butternut rounds for 7 minutes in the oven or on a grill pan for added texture.
- Place butternut in a salad bowl, and top with the rocket, the homemade sunflower seed pesto, fets orange and grapefruit segments.
- Braai or book the T-bone for more or less 10 minutes (depending on you would like our steak prepared)
- Top tip: if you are booking the steak in a pan on a gas stove, use butter and fresh rosemary to base as your cook your meat.
- Remove the meat and let it rest—season with Maldon salt and black pepper only.
And Voila! Enjoy the classic steak with a decadent touch from the Polo Pavilion by Back’s!
Top Tip: To compliment the tender free-range steak, we suggest the Valley of Life Signature Red Blend.
Explore all the harvest table recipes on the Val de Vie Estate Blog
Canapés – The Valley Restaurant
Main course – Polo Pavilion by Back’s
Salad – Reuben’s & Co Cafe
Dessert – Wijn
Cheese board – The Deli by Back’s
Fresh produce – Val de Vie Wellness Farm
Furniture & Décor – N Concepts & Design
Wine – Val de Vie Wines at L’Huguenot Vineyards
Coffee – Fleet Coffee Roastery
Traditional Fruit Cake – Val de Vie Estate resident, Mechanne Behnke