Val de Vie offers two of the finest, most luxurious grounds in the country, completed to Hurlingham International Championship Standards.
Both grounds are boarded and have ample seating for spectators, either on the informal terraces, ideal for casual picnic or at the Polo Pavilion where players and spectators can mingle, enjoy an easy lunch, aperitif or savour victory whilst sampling some of the Estate’s Fine Wines.
Other features include:
- State of the art drainage to ensure a quick drying surface.
- Infield automated irrigation provides environmentally friendly water distribution.
- Laser levelling to perfect flatness.
- 1% slope towards the spectators for better viewing.
- Tough, water-wise and vigorous Bahia grass.
A world class facility, which I will hopefully be making a permanent fixture in my polo calendar. It's very unique in that it offers all one could ask for in a polo destination. Gareth Evans (5) Captain of Springboks 2009
Against a backdrop of the majestic Simonsberg and Franschhoek mountains, facing the luxurious A ground, is the stylish Val de Vie stable block, designed to cater for the comfort of horse and rider.
- The spacious drive-through stable block, with 64 loose boxes, is designed for optimal ventilation during all seasons.
- Daily manure disposal, excellent drainage, hygienic management and biological fly control ensure odour-free and healthy stables.
- The design allows for safe social interaction between horses.
- Other facilities include, fully equipped tack rooms, lunging rings, exercise track and practice field.
- Client change rooms.
Val de Vie it is not just about Polo. The spacious grounds, landscaped park-like avenues and 10 kilometres of outride trails invite you to explore the idyllic and secure Val de Vie estate on horseback or on foot. For the polo player we offer complete livery and exercise care.
- Livery is available for participants of all equestrian disciplines.
- Expert care is provided by an on-site professional team.
- Horses are provided with daily turn out in secure camps.
Grooms play a pivotal role in polo and horse care is a full time responsibility, 7 days a week. Lucky, Vuyo, Ayanda, Saziso, Whitey and Patrick take care of the horse’s daily needs, from feeding and grooming to exercising the ponies and getting them tacked up for polo. They are also enthusiastic and knowledgeable supporters of matches and known to offer free advice or a reproach or two for anyone suffering an ‘off’ day!
Under the ever watchful eye of Stable Master, George Mumba, (himself and experienced 0 gaoler) the grooms do only the best for the equines.
George is fanatical about who he employs and each groom is given ongoing training to become a skilled equestrian expert in his own right. “After all,” he says, “your groom spends more time with your horses than you do.”
The Ponies are essential partners on the team – any experienced player will confirm that the horse amounts for between 70 and 90% of the game. And, nothing puts a player out of the game like the wrong horse. Whether you’re ‘over-mounted’ or ‘under-mounted’ the result is the same - which is why we offer a selection of ponies which can be matched to your skill level.
For a novice rider, it can be a daunting prospect to ‘mount up’ for the first time. For beginners we have special ‘school master’ ponies – safe, forgiving and easily controllable, which will build your confidence and soon have you cantering around the field.
“I'm afraid I've been spoilt by riding your ponies; everywhere else I go I have to work harder at getting them to the ball than concentrating on my swing!.” Jules, UK